As the largest e-commerce website for handmade items, Etsy helps thousands of small business owners launch their products. Etsy’s simple online set-up wizard creates a “shop” interface that builds sellers’ web presence without the expensive hassle of building and maintaining an individual website. Etsy products are primarily craft-oriented or handmade items such as jewelry and clothing. As a C2C platform, Etsy’s business model facilitates small business growth.
With more than 54 million registered active users, Etsy is predominately used by women between the ages of 18-34. Check out four tips for using Etsy to connect with customers and sell your products.
Have a strategy
To drive traffic to your online storefront that results in sales, create a marketing plan that considers how to target clients and build your brand, but most importantly, builds relationships between you and your clients. Because people may actively avoid promotional social media accounts, how can you build an efficient marketing strategy?
- Create social media accounts that share unique content your target client audience will find useful rather than simply promoting your products across all posts.
- Create campaigns that align with special holidays and offer discounts.
- Don’t use generic seller hashtags like #etsyfinds. Consider what kind of hashtags your customers would use to find your products, like #rocktshirts.
- Track analytics across Etsy and all social for conversion insights.
Don’t just promote yourself and your shop
Consider the 70/20/10 approach, which dictates that 70% of your posts share other people’s content, 20% shares your own unique content that doesn’t directly promote items, and the final 10% supports purely promotional posts that communicate information about specific items, and upcoming events or sales.
Get to know your customers
Building relationships with your customers can result in word-of-mouth recommendations that further drive sales and build brand loyalty, but how do you walk that tricky line between the annoying promotional spammer and engaged seller?
- Consider what your customers’ values and interests might be. If your Etsy shop focuses on t-shirts that promote a specific environmental cause, like saving whales, what’s going to affect whales? Plastic pollution?
- Respond to customer questions within 24 hours.
- Ask your customers for feedback. Be open to criticism and using it as a way to strengthen your brand.
- Offer clear guidance on returns or problems.
- Interact with clients across social media in a respectful tone.
- Offer unique content that focuses on what’s important to your customers. How is that content related to your branding?
Don’t post blurry or grainy pictures
Multiple studies show that online sellers only have a few seconds, at most, to capture potential customers’ attention. If your intended customers can’t discern much about the quality, color, or details of what you’re selling, they’ll move on as quickly as they found your Etsy storefront. After all, Etsy offers an ocean of items to choose from, as well as their competitors.
- Consider hiring a professional photographer to capture your products in the best light.
- Photograph items in high resolution. You can always crop pictures.
- Photograph your products in in-direct daylight with an obscured or neutral background to showcase your work. Avoid harsh light, which may not be flattering depending on your product’s finishes.
Creating an online Etsy storefront for your growing screen-printing or clothing store can place your products in the reach of millions. Knowing how to use Etsy to the best of your abilities may better help you to connect with potential customers that drive sales rather than useless likes.
Consider these insights on creating an online Etsy storefront from Clothing Shop Online!