Locating the right wholesaler takes some research and negotiation. Whether you own a screen-printing business or another kind of clothing business, buying in bulk can help to stretch your budget. Bulk buying can also increase your profit margins by lowering your overhead costs. As a result of not overpaying for wholesale clothing orders, you’re more likely to hit your margins in order to keep your business going.
There are several ways to buy clothing wholesale. Here are five suggestions from Clothing Shop Online:
There are several different ways to approach buying in bulk. There’s no right way for all businesses, so consider your specific clothing business needs when researching how to buy wholesale clothing. Choose, first, if you want to buy from a wholesaler that represents multiple brands or wholesalers that sell just one brand in bulk, like Hanes. While you might have some brand preferences, buying in bulk from a wholesaler offers several benefits. For instance, if there’s a global supply chain issue with one brand or a specific fabric, you can buy another brand in a similar fabric that’s already in stock. If you don’t have a brand preference, a company that sells several brands can help you to experiment, enabling you to find the right fabrics and pricing for your creative and financial bottom line.
When comparing pricing across wholesale websites, first make sure that the websites are legitimate. While this may seem like an obvious suggestion, hundreds of websites masquerade as legitimate in order to steal credit card numbers for orders that never arrive. Creating a website that looks genuine has become easier than ever, making it challenging to tell real websites from scams.
To know if your wholesale clothing distributor is genuine, here are some internet hygiene tips:
- Confirm that the wholesale clothing distributor’s domain name matches the store’s name, ideally one that you recognize.
- Make sure that the website has an SSL certificate.
- Never make purchases on a public network, such as at an airport, hotel, café, or university. Public networks often lack basic security protocols, and it is easy for a hacker to spoof a website you are attempting to reach if they are on the same network as you.
- Make sure your internet router is secure.
- Research internet reviews to make sure that not only is a website real, but also to hunt for any negative complaints. No company can make everyone happy all of the time, but negative reviews can help give you insights into what to expect, understand your risk tolerance, and potentially avoid a problematic business relationship and economic investment.
Besides the big single-brand wholesale companies like Hanes or Champion, several legitimate and established wholesale websites include:
Clothing Shop Online not only offers the biggest brands in bulk, whether you need a few dozen or hundreds of blank tees, but we also maintain a transparent bulk discount policy that we’re happy to discuss by email or phone. Clothing Shop Online’s bulk discount policy offers:
- 5% | $100-$174.99
- 10% | $175-$249.99
- 15% | $250+
How to Contact Wholesalers
Typically, a good wholesale clothing company will work with you to meet your needs. However, approaching them in a professional manner is key. Part of that includes communicating what you want to ask for rather than hoping the vendor will know what you need. Contacting wholesale vendors in the U.S. is straightforward, just email or call them. But before you do, here are some tips on how to approach a wholesale supplier:
- Know your sourcing strategy before approaching. If you don’t want to dropship and don’t want to private label your own products, then you want to buy wholesale.
- You’ll need a seller’s permit or business license. U.S. wholesalers typically have few requirements and will meet you where you’re at – whether you need a few dozen or a few thousand t-shirts. Some vendors won’t even ask you for a permit but have one or a license may help you purchase tax-free depending on your state’s tax. However, having one will help show good faith that you’re working as a legitimate business yourself.
- Ask about their purchase requirement. If it’s higher than what you need, ask for vendor recommendations.
Shop eBay, Amazon or Department Store Sales
Before going this route, know that eBay and Amazon sellers are not well-vetted, so confirm that your seller not only has a legitimate selling history but also a website, if possible. Reviews are often faked or bought, so in this respect, you can’t rely on them alone. Otherwise, Amazon and eBay both have many venders that offer quality bulk clothing. Several Asian markets sell internationally through these kinds of websites as well.
Sometimes department stores have year-end deep sales, like Dillards.com, which offers extensive sales on quality products on the first of January each year. As well, Costco, Sam’s Club, Big Lots, Target, and Walmart might also offer massive savings for quality bulk clothing, especially during seasonal changes. This approach could also help to close the clothing cycle loop by saving hundreds of pounds of textiles from being offshored abroad, wasting fuel and energy.
Bankruptcies, auctions, and other kinds of store closings also offer big savings on bulk items. In recent years, Sears, Macy’s, Service Merchandise, Kmart, the Gap, Victoria’s Secret, and even Neiman Marcus, have closed hundreds of stores, either due to bankruptcies or downsizing – to the benefit of wholesale buyers. Local vintage or thrift stores may also have lots of clothing their trying to unload, so don’t overlook those either. Don’t be afraid to contact sellers directly to negotiate a better bulk price. You might be surprised to find how motivated they are to earn your business.
However you choose to buy in bulk for your business, several options may fit your business needs at whatever stage you’re in. Consider these tips on how to buy clothing wholesale for your online business from Clothing Shop Online!